1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
2. Cook the pork in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Stir in the diced red pepper, onions and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and crushed red pepper. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the cheese, 1 cup beans and the cilantro. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
3. Unfold 1 pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into 10 (2-1/2-inch) circles. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheets, making 40 in all.
4. Spoon 1 teaspoon pork mixture on half of each pastry circle. Brush the edges of the pastry with water. Fold the pastry over the filling and crimp with a fork to seal. Place the filled pastries onto baking sheets. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Remove the pastries from the baking sheets and let cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Serve the pastries with the sour cream, guacamole and remaining beans.
1. Use ground turkey instead of the pork. Add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil to the skillet while browning the turkey.
2. To make ahead, place the unbaked empanadas onto a baking sheet. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove the frozen empanadas from the baking sheet and store in a gallon size resealable plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Bake the frozen empanadas as directed above.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (1922g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 819 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 91g||121 %|
|Saturated Fat 55.5g||278 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 25.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.5g|
|Cholesterol 275.2mg||85 %|
|Sodium 5820.5mg||201 %|
|Potassium 4911.4mg||129 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 161.5g||47 %|
|Dietary Fiber 51.2g||205 %|
|Sugars, other 110.3g|
|Protein 104.6g||149 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1824
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!