1. Heat spinach in saute pan. If excess moisture doesn't cook off, transfer to strainer and press firmly with back of spoon or squeeze to remove excess moisture. There should be at least 1/2 cup spinach. Set aside in bowl.
2. Meanwhile, combine onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon of the oil, and 1 tablespoon water in skillet. Turn heat to medium; when onion sizzles, turn heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring once, until softened, about 3 minutes. In small bowl, stir together onion mixture, cheese, and spinach.
Set skillet aside for step 5.
3. Soften tomatoes in hot water. Add balsamic vinegar and run in blender to a coarse paste. Spread paste evenly on smooth side of chicken.
4. Divide spinach mixture among cutlets. Spread to edges of 3 sides, leaving about 1" at narrow tip free of spinach. Loosely roll up chicken, ending with narrow tip, and secure with wooden picks.
5. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add chicken and cook over medium heat,
turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add broth, cover, and
cook over low heat, about 7 minutes. Uncover and transfer roulades to serving platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
6. Boil juices in skillet until reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes. Diagonally slice
roulades into one inch-thick pieces, drizzle with pan juices, and serve.
Adapter from recipe by Marie Simmons, Prevention Magazine, Sept. ''05
I served this with a salad topped with fresh mango and some raspberry vinegar.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (320g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 259 (55%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28.8g||38 %|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.7g|
|Cholesterol 148.5mg||46 %|
|Sodium 529.8mg||18 %|
|Potassium 955.3mg||25 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.2g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 4.1g|
|Protein 45.7g||65 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 471
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.