1. Add all the ingredients for the rub and whisk together. Store in an airtight container.
2. Pat beef dry. Combine the flour and the seasoning in a small shallow bowl. Coat the beef with the flour mixture. Heat oil / bacon fat in a large dutch oven and brown meat in small batches. Add the onion and saute.
3. Add the garlic and beer and scrap brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
4. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Bring to light boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
6. Take off heat and remove thyme stems and bay leaves.
7. Cool to 70 degrees within 2 hours and chill overnight.
8. Measure 128 grams of the filling per pie/
Notes: Instead of making rub, we could purchase a NC small food company rub. We could add mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes. What I like about this recipe is that the meat is cut into small pieces so there is more searing. Some recipes render bacon fat to sear the meat. I am sure this adds more flavor.
I think we could also put this in the oven to cook at a low temperature for several hours instead of keeping ti on the cooktop.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (169g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 22 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.5g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.4g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 63.4mg||2 %|
|Potassium 142.4mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 4.5g|
|Protein 1.1g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 47
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!