I had never tried fish tacos until my son, fresh out of boot camp, asked me to make them. I found a basic recipe, then adapted it from there, and now it's one of my favorite things to eat!
As with any recipe, adaptation to your taste is the key to success and your culinary enjoyment.
This recipe is a preparation of optional ingredients, then you build the tacos as you like them.
1. Cut across the cabbage on the end opposite the stem in 1/4 inch rounds, then turn the rings and cut again to shred into small bite size pieces. Place the cabbage in a gallon freezer bag. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice, the vinegar and season with salt pepper, cumin and coriander as you like. Shake the bag every direction to mix the ingredients and let sit while you prepare everything else.
2. For the fish - Cut the fish into fillets that you will later pull apart with two forks. Mix the egg and milk together. Mix the flour and cornmeal, and add seasonings that you like. I have a 22 herb/spice mix that I've come up with that I mix in with the flour and corn meal. Coriander, cumin, salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder are a good start. I'll post the mix as a separate recipe.
3. Bathe the fish in the milk/egg mixture, and dredge in the flour/seasoning mixture on both sides. Set aside until all the fish is ready.
4. Heat the oil or butter in a pan on medium high, and cook the fish, about 4 minutes per side. Take the fish out of the pan with tongs, set on a cutting board and squeeze lime juice over it. Let it cool.
5. Prepare the tomato, onion and cilantro and set out in small bowls. Mix the salsa of your choice and sour cream.
6. When the fish has cooled, use one fork to anchor it and shred with the another, flaking off small pieces. Place in a bowl.
7. Set out the cabbage in a small bowl.
8. Heat the tortillas in a microwave. Place two on a plate, and build up your tacos with sour cream mix, fish, onion, tomato, tomato, jalapenos, hot sauce - whatever you like!
Fold over and dig in, with a nice IPA or crisp white wine!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (226g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 44 (29%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.9g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 40.4mg||12 %|
|Sodium 134.7mg||5 %|
|Potassium 562.2mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.6g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 11.4g|
|Protein 15.6g||22 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 154
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.