- In a saucepan, heat the pears in their own juice.
- When pears are warm but not overcooked, remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Continue to reduce pear juice.
- add sugar, cinammon, apricot jam.
- Cook until syrupy.
- Place pear half in desert bowl.
- If using whipped cream, pour syrup over pear and top with Whipped Cream, if using Ice Cream, top the pear half with Ice cream and then pour syrup over ice cream.
In a pinch, improvise:
- Use fresh pears (peeled and cored) by cooking longer with a bit of added water
- Use fresh or canned apricots by cooking and straining
- If you don't have brown sugar, white will do, or if you don't have that, I bet maple syrup would be excellent
- If you don't have ground cinammon, cook with a cinammon stick
- If you don't have whipped cream or ice cream, cool whip will work.
- I'm sure this would work with apples too.
Inspired by something I remotely remember seeing Jacques Pepin prepare once. No idea whether this recipe is similar to his or not. Quantities are approximate - rely on your taste and intuition to fine tune the recipe. I cook by taste, and rarely ever measure anything.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (182g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 2 (2%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 3.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 214.7mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 29.8g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||22 %|
|Sugars, other 24.3g|
|Protein 0.7g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 112
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.