This makes a fabulous stuffed bell pepper dish that rivals most you may have tried! Be sure when selecting your peppers that you choose those which have no wrinkles, firm skin and are ideally able to sit upright. The larger the pepper the better as you will have more room in the cavity to stuff with your flavorful filling.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare bell peppers for baking by cutting off the tops and removing the spines and seeds and discard. The peppers need to be softened before baking. Softening of the peppers can be accomplished in one of two ways: 1) Steam the bell peppers on a wire rack above water for 10-15 minutes, or 2) Cover the bell peppers with water and boil for three minutes. After softening process, set bell peppers aside to drain.
3) In a large skillet over medium-high heat stir and cook ground beef until brown. Be sure to separate beef into small pieces while stirring. Next add onions and garlic cloves. Stir and cook for an additional three minutes.
4) Remove skillet from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, cooked rice, and one cup tomato juice (it is here that you should add corn kernels, if desired). Mix all ingredients well then stuff mixture into peppers.
5) Place stuffed bell peppers upright into shallow baking dish and add the remaining tomato juice. Cover with aluminum foil and bake stuffed bell peppers at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Add cheese topping and bake additional 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted.
6) Spoon the tomato juice from the baking dish over the stuffed bell peppers and serve hot.
We prefer a medium to sharp cheddar cheese, but you can try different types of cheese according to your family's favorites.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (565g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 353 (38%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 39.2g||52 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.7g||73 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 113.4mg||35 %|
|Sodium 331.9mg||11 %|
|Potassium 1084.4mg||29 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 110.6g||33 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.8g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 104.8g|
|Protein 35.3g||50 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 941
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.