1. Heat oven to 350?F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook onions 4 minutes or until soft. Add 2 tablespoons garlic; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Place in large bowl; cool.
2. Combine bread crumbs and milk in small bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Squeeze and discard excess milk from bread. Add bread and all remaining meat loaf ingredients except fontina cheese to bowl. Gently combine until well-blended.
3. Form half of the mixture into 14x5-inch rectangle on large rimmed baking sheet. Arrange fontina cheese lengthwise down center of meat, leaving 1-inch border on edges. Cover with remaining meat mixture, making sure edges are well-sealed. Plump up loaf with your hands.
4. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160?F. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
5. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Cook carrot, celery, shallots and 1 teaspoon garlic, covered, 6 to 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and water; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes. Puree in blender or food processor, adding additional water if too thick. Serve warm over meat loaf.
To make fresh bread crumbs, tear day-old whole-grain or white bread into pieces; place in food processor. Pulse 30 to 60 seconds or until coarse crumbs form. One bread slice yields about 3/4 cup crumbs.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (611g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1061 (74%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 117.9g||157 %|
|Saturated Fat 39g||195 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 47.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 16.9g|
|Cholesterol 291.8mg||90 %|
|Sodium 1440.1mg||50 %|
|Potassium 1790.2mg||47 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.9g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.9g||48 %|
|Sugars, other 17g|
|Protein 71g||101 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1441
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.