For this dish, be sure your plantains are completely black, since the fruit becomes sweeter as it ripens. (Yellow or mottled brown plantains are very starchy and usually take about a week to fully ripen.) Serve these fritters as a snack or pair them with ice cream for a delicious dessert.
1. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking power, and salt in a large bowl, then add water and egg and whisk until batter is smooth.
2. Peel plantains and cut on a slight diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces. Stir into batter to coat well.
3. Stir together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
4. Heat 1/2 inch oil in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until 340F hot. Fry plantain slices in batches of 6 until bottoms are golden, about 45 seconds then turn over and fry until other side of is golden. 30 to 45 seconds more. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
5. While still warm, toss each batch in sugar mixture until coated, then transfer to a platter. Serve hot or warm
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (136g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 525 (84%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 58.4g||78 %|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 35.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 15.7g|
|Cholesterol 42.7mg||13 %|
|Sodium 1468.5mg||51 %|
|Potassium 63.5mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24.8g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 24.1g|
|Protein 3.5g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 622
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!