1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half the beef and cook without moving until well browned on first side, about 4 minutes. Stir and cook until well browned all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer beef to a large bowl and repeat with 1 more tablespoon oil and remaining beef.
2. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the same pan and heat until shimmering. Add the sliced ginger, garlic cloves, , and chilies. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chopped tomato and stir for another minute. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Add the chili bean sauce and stir until the mixture just begins to bubble.
3. Return the beef to the pot. Stir to warm up and coat the meat with the spices. Add the rice wine and cook for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the star anise, peppercorns, dark and light soy sauces, and the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until beef is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
4. Using tongs, carefully remove the beef cubes from the soup and set aside in a bowl. Carefully strain the soup over a colander or a mesh strainer to catch the ginger, peppercorns and other stray solids. Retain any solids or small beef pieces from the strained mixture that you may want to keep and return to the soup. Return the beef to the soup and add greens to wilt if desired.
5. Cook the noodles according to the directions on their package. Strain noodles and divide into serving bowls. Ladle the warm soup and beef chunks into each bowl and serve immediately.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (818g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6-8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 244 (75%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.1g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 14.8g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 936.3mg||32 %|
|Potassium 149.6mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.3g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 8.4g|
|Protein 2.6g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 326
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!