1. Gradually stir the cornmeal into the cold water. Stir this mixture into the boiling water in a heavy saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, to boiling; reduce the heat. Add the butter and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sautee the sausage meat in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to lose its pink color. Add the onion, cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic; cook for 4 minutes longer. Add the ground beef and continue to cook until the beef loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Stir in the hot pepper sauce, celery and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes longer.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut the corn kernels off each cob, but only to half their depth. Using the back of the knife, scrape the cobs to remove the remaining bits of kernel and milky residue. Add to the tomato-meat mixture. Cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 10-in round baking dish at least 2 in. deep. Spread two-thirds of the cornmeal mixture over the bottom and the sides. Spoon the meat filling evenly into the dish. Arrange the olive slices on top and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. Cover with Cheddar cheese.
5. Spoon the remaining cornmeal mixture evenly over the top of the pie to form a crust. (If the cornmeal has become too thick to spread, thin with a few drops of boiling water.) Bake until golden-brown, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (487g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 257 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28.6g||38 %|
|Saturated Fat 13.5g||67 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.5g|
|Cholesterol 86.3mg||27 %|
|Sodium 405.3mg||14 %|
|Potassium 861.6mg||23 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.4g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20 %|
|Sugars, other 28.4g|
|Protein 24.6g||35 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 481
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.