These are traditional Christmas cookies that my Oma (German grandmother) makes every year. They are also called Linzerkuchen. I've tried to modernize the instructions, but note the tell-tale grandma-style recipe of "Bake at 350'F until done". This is best if you can measure the ingredients by weight, but I've given volume equivalents in case you don't have a scale.
1. Put hazelnuts in food processor and process until fine
2. Add vanilla and pulse to distribute
3. Add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and process to combine
4. Cut butter into cubes and add to processor. Pulse until butter is evenly incorporated and the batter comes together in a ball.
5. Wrap dough and let rest for at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
6. Preheat oven to 325'F.
7. Butter/grease a cookie sheet
8. Roll out to 1/8" sheets and cut into shapes (it's easiest to cut all the same shape since they'll be made into sandwiches later). For half of the shapes, cut a “window” hole out of the center so the jam will show through. Gather up scraps and roll a new sheet to cut more shapes. With the last remaining dough roll it into a "snake" and form a pretzel for each child that helped to make the cookies.
9. Put shapes on cookie sheet and bake at 325'F until done (slightly brown), about 21-25 minutes. Don't wait for a full brown color or else they'll burn. You can bake multiple sheets at a time, just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
10. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes, then assemble into sandwiches with jam inbetween with “window” cut out cookie on top so the jam will show through. Place them back the cookie sheet and dust with powdered sugar for a festive look.
Note: For true Terrasenbrotchen or Terrace cookies, you'll need cookie cutters of the same shape in three sizes: small, medium, and large. The assemble into a three-layer sandwich.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (22g)|
|Recipe Makes: 48 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 53 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 5.9g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 11.2mg||3 %|
|Sodium 164.5mg||6 %|
|Potassium 27.6mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.3g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 10.8g|
|Protein 1.2g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 101
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.