1. In a medium pot, bring 3 quarts of tap water to a boil over medium heat. Put the kosher salt in a large bowl and slowly (and carefully) pour the boiling water over the salt. Stir to blend.
2. Add the molasses, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sage, thyme and garlic to the salt and water mixture. Stir to blend. Add the remaining 3 quarts of cool water. Add the ice to the cooler or bucket large enough to hold the brine and turkey. Pour the brine over the ice and use a large whisk to blend all ingredients.
3. Submerge the turkey, breast side down, in the brine. make sure the cavity of the bird fills with the liquid as you are submerging it. Cover the cooler and allow the bird to sit in the brine overnight or for about 12 hours.
4. Remove the bird from the brine and dry it thoroughly with thick (and absorbent) kitchen towels. Take care to wipe inside the cavity as well. Discard the brine. Whisk together the butter and the lemon zest. Gently lift the skin covering one breast of the turkey and spread half of the butter right on the meat under the skin. Repeat with the other breast. The butter will add extra moisture and richness as the bird roasts.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Arrange the turkey in a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Put on the lower rack of the oven and roast until the internal temperature of the turkey taken from the thickest part of the thigh reads 170 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, about 3-1/2 hours. Remove turkey from oven to a cutting board or serving platter and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (267g)|
|Recipe Makes: 15 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1 (1%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 12004.4mg||414 %|
|Potassium 366.5mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 37.2g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 36.9g|
|Protein 1g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 144
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!