Recipe for Thanksigiving 2021:
There are 5 parts to this recipe. Brine turkey, make rice stuffing, and make broth on the night before. Then roast the turkey and make gravy on Thanksgiving day.
< Night Before >
* For roasting, roughly 2 chop celery stalks, a carrot, and an onion.
* Combine the salt, sugar, onion, and garlic powder for the brine. Pluck leaves from 1 sprig of rosemary and 3 sprigs. Add them to a spice grinder and mix.
* Measure out 2.5 cups of water and 2 cups of Jasmine rice.
* For the stuffing, small dice 2 stalks of celery, and an oinion.
* For the stock, wash a lemon and cut in half.
0. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
1. Butcher the whole turkey into parts: body, wings, thighs, legs. Use a thick knife to break off the portion with the exposed spine. Greese a baking sheet with cooking spary. Place the turkey neck and innards on a baking sheet along with the chopped carrot, celery, and onion. Drizzle a bit of oil. Let it roast in the oven for [40 min].
2. Rub the spice/herb mix all over the surface of the turkey parts. Season the inner cavity. Loosen the skin. Get seasoning under the skin as well. Wrap them in plastic. Store the turkey in the fridge overnight.
3. Into a sealable pot, add the rice and water. Let it come to a boil under high heat. When it boils, lower the temp to a simmer and cover the pot with a tight lid. Let it cook for [12 min]. If the water has not fully evaporated, cook longer with the lid on. Let it rest for [10 min] with the heat off. Then fluff the rice.
4. Heat a pot under med-high heat. Add in 2 T of butter and some oil. Add in the celery and onions. Saute them for [5 min] until they become tender.
5. Add in the cooked Jasmine rice. Stir and cook for about [3 min]. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt.
6. Store the rice stuffing inside a container and cool and fridge overnight.
7. When the roasting is done, transfer the vegetables and turkey neck and organs to a 6QT slow cooker. Add drippings from the baking sheet in as well. Fill the pot about half way with water. Add in the lemon, garlic cloves, a bay leaf, a sprig of thyme, and a sprig of rosemary. Let it simmer overnight.
< Thanksgiving day>
* Strain the stock from the slow cooker. Keep the turkey neck and innards, but discard the vegetables.
* Seperate the stock into fat and liquid, and discard the fat.
* Reserve 2 cups of stock for the gravy.
* For the gravy, pick meat from the turkey neck. Dice the meat and the turkey innards.
* Fill the cavity of the turkey body with the rice stuffing. Line the turkey parts on a baking sheet with a wire rack
* Brush oil on the surface of the turkey.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Roast the turkey for 30 min. Then every 20 min, coat the surface with more oil. Continue until the breat hits 150 degrees F and the dark meat reaches 170 degrees F. [Dark meat took 80 min, breast needed more than 40 min].
3. Set the turkey aside for resting with a foil cover.
4. Microwave the 2 cups of stock until warm. In a sauce pan, melt 2 T of butter over med-high heat. Add in 2 T of flour and cook stirring constantly for at least [2 min] until the flour is light beige.
5.Raise the heat to high. Add in the stock little at a time while stirring. Continue to stir until the gravy thickens. Add in a good amount of the the turkey neck meat and innards. Add the rest of the meat to the rice stuffing.
Measuing the breast with a thermometer is tricky because the thickest part is near the spine. Using a meat probe might be better.
There are flaws with this recipe: there isn't enough room to stuff the bird when you cut the legs +
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1951g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 358 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 39.7g||53 %|
|Saturated Fat 15.3g||76 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.6g|
|Cholesterol 714.1mg||220 %|
|Sodium 7340.2mg||253 %|
|Potassium 3598mg||95 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 75.7g||22 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||20 %|
|Sugars, other 70.6g|
|Protein 239.8g||343 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1677
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.