1. Two days before serving dry-brine turkey using top 7 ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Rub brine all over outside and inside of turkey, under skin also where possible. Wrap turkey in a large plastic bag and refrigerate 24 hours. Turn bag over and refrigerate another 24 hours.
2. 4-6 hours before serving, remover turkey from bag, rinse brine off with cool water and dry well. Let turkey come to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, toss together carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and parsley. Place 3.4 of veggie-herb mixture in bottom of large roasting pan. Rub remaining veggie-herb mixture around inside turkey and season of turkey with salt and pepper.
4. Place roasting rack over veggies. Lay turkey breast-side down, onto rack.
5. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Set oven rack in lowest part of over. Pour 2 cups stock and 1/2 cup Madeira into roasting pan.
6. Melt butter with remaining Madeira in a large saucepan over medium heat. Dip a large 2-layer square of cheesecloth in the Madeira butter and drape over turkey. Place turkey in oven and decrease temperature to 400 degrees.
7. Roast 1 1/2 hours, baste every 20 mins.
8. Liquid in pan will evaporate during cooking, so add stock as needed, 1 cup at a time, to pan drippings to dilute fat and prevent veggies from burning.
9. After 1 1/2 hours reduce heat to 350 degrees, roast 30 mins. more. If turkey is browning too quickly cover loosely with foil.
10. After 30 mins. flip turkey breast side up. Dip fresh 2-layer cheesecloth square in Madiera butter and drape over breast. If not Madiera butter to soak cheesecloth, dip cheesecloth in pan drippings.
11. Roast turkey 1 hour more, total of 3 hours. Test for doneness with meat thermometer in 2 places in thigh, aim for 160. Continue roasting and basting until 160. Tent turkey loosely with foil if getting too brown.
12. When turkey is done, transfer to large cutting board, reserving pan drippings for gravy. Cover turkey loosely with foil and cover foil with warm, damp kitchen towel. Let turkey rest at least 30 mins. before carving.
13. Defat pan drippings - pour remaining turkey juices into large jar or heatproof measuring cup, place in freeze or fridge and chill for 30 mins, until fat rises to top. Skim fat and use defatted juices to make gravy.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (410g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 29 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3.2g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.6g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 3.6mg||1 %|
|Sodium 4870.5mg||168 %|
|Potassium 567.9mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 140.8g||41 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.3g||21 %|
|Sugars, other 135.5g|
|Protein 17.3g||25 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 687
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!