1. Place a large, clean kitchen towel on your counter, and place a box grater on top of it. Grate the onion on the coarse section of the grater. Remove the grater, wrap the shredded onion in the towel and squeeze over a large bowl (or your sink) to remove excess moisture. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. If the towel is very damp, open it to a new section or get a fresh towel. Grate the potatoes on the coarse section of the grater over the towel. As you finish each potato, squeeze out the moisture as you did with the onion. Repeat until all the potatoes are grated and squeezed. Transfer to the bowl with the onion. Toss the mixture to combine. (Note: If the mixture still feels wet to the touch, dry it one more time.)
3. Add the egg and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Working in batches, scoop ? cup of the potato mixture into the hot oil and butter. Use a spatula to flatten slightly. Cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes per side
5. Serve immediately, with sour cream and applesauce on the side.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1685g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 369 (24%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 41g||55 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.9g||119 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.6g|
|Cholesterol 303.1mg||93 %|
|Sodium 2493.1mg||86 %|
|Potassium 6452.3mg||170 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 268.5g||79 %|
|Dietary Fiber 34.3g||137 %|
|Sugars, other 234.2g|
|Protein 37.7g||54 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1557
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!