Tirami su, literally “cheer me up,” certainly has all the ingredients to do so -- the boost of dark coffee, the velvet mouthfeel of whipped mascarpone and eggs, and a life-affirming whisper of sweet, red Marsala wine or rum (optional).
1. Prepare espresso coffee in advance. It will need to be cold. A moka coffee maker and espresso machine are the best, alternatively drip coffee can be used.
2. Separate the yolks from the whites.
3. Transfer three egg whites into a bowl, squeeze in 4-5 drops of lemon juice (optional) and beat them by hand or with a stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
4. In another bowl, mix the yolks with the sugar until they become pale and double in volume.
5. Add the mascarpone cheese one spoonful at a time and mix again.
6. Using a spatula, gently incorporate the whipped whites into the yolks and mascarpone mixture.
7. Cover an 8-cup capacity dish or pan with a thin layer of mascarpone cream.
8. Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee for about 6 seconds and transfer them into the pan.
9. Cover the ladyfingers with a generous amount of mascarpone cream.
10. Create a second layer of ladyfingers soaked in coffee and mascarpone cream.
11. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
12. Cover and let it chill in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (331g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 669 (73%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 74.3g||99 %|
|Saturated Fat 30.5g||153 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 29.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.7g|
|Cholesterol 2624.1mg||807 %|
|Sodium 307.1mg||11 %|
|Potassium 387.1mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24.2g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 23.9g|
|Protein 38.9g||56 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 918
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.