1. Soak shiitake in 2 cups hot water, 25 minutes.
2. Drain tofu. Halve tofu horizontally and vertically to get 4 equal size "steaks."
Place tofu on paper towels, in single layer. Let drain 30 minutes, changing
towels when wet.
3. Drain shiitake, reserving liquid.
4. Combine shiitake liquid, potato starch, soy sauce, mirin and pepper; stir until
potato starch dissolves. Heat large frying pan, preferably nonstick, over high
5. Add 2 teaspoons oil; coat inside bottom of pan. Add tofu steaks, in single
layer. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Remove from
pan; keep warm.
6. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan. Add carrots and onion; sauté
2 to 3 minutes, or until tender crisp.
7. Mix in shiitake, shiitake-cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes, or
until mixture boils and thickens. For each serving, place a tofu steak on
serving plate. Spoon 3/4 cup shiitake sauce over tofu. Serve immediately with
To quicken the process of drawing out water from tofu, cut the tofu and put each piece on a coffee filter. Microwave the pieces for 4-6 minutes, drain water, and repeat till most of the water is removed.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (590g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 231 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25.7g||34 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.6g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 13.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 7096.5mg||245 %|
|Potassium 1075.1mg||28 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 114.7g||34 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.2g||45 %|
|Sugars, other 103.5g|
|Protein 60g||86 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 904
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.