From Globe and Mail
Simple and speedy, this tomato soup takes a little more effort than opening a cna, but only just - and the difference in taste will be a revelation. The flavours are fuller, richer and there's more balance between tanginess and sweetness. Just add grilled cheese (aged sharp cheddar is a must) and comfort is all yours.
1. Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil until softened.
2. Add crushed tomatoes and 3 cups chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
3. Add 1 cup cream and simmer for 5-10 minutes to combine all the flavours.
4. Season with a teaspoon of salt and if the tomatoes are very acidic, 1 tsp sugar to round out the flavour.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then purée with an immersion blender and serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (201g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 116 (71%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.9g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.6g||38 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 40.8mg||13 %|
|Sodium 783.4mg||27 %|
|Potassium 320.5mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5.1g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 4.8g|
|Protein 7.2g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 163
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.