1. Remove stems and seeds from chills, with a paring knife make a slit down the side, and open up the chills remove seeds and stems
2. In a 5-quart saucepot submerge chili pods in the chicken broth or strain reserve from tamale meat liquid. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then shut off the heat, cover the pot, and allow the chills to sit for 1 hour.
3. Strain the the chili pods from soaking liquid mixture, and set aside soaking liquid.
4. Put peppers and 2 1/2 cups of the soaking liquid into a blender or remaining reserve meat liquid. This may be done in batches.
5. Add garlic, onion, cumin and salt, or you can use the garlic and onion from tamale meat, See "Traditional Tamales Pork or Beef (RAR)"
6. Cover and blend until smooth. If sauce gets too thick, add in up to 1 cup of the remaining soaking liquid or meat broth until you reach the desired thickness. Strain the mixture, and set aside.
7. In the 5-quart saucepot, stir flour into melted lard (or vegetable shortening) over heat until browned.
8. Carefully stir in blended strain chili mixture.
9. Simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. If sauce gets too thick, stir in up to 1 cup of the remaining strain soaking liquid or meat broth until you reach the desired thickness. Use this sauce for tamales, see "Traditional Tamales Pork or Beef (RAR)" recipe.
10. Reserve about 1/2 cup of this sauce to color the Masa. See "Traditional Tamales Pork or Beef (RAR)" recipe.
11. Note: When working with chilies, use rubber gloves to protect your skin, and avoid contact with your eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water to remove all of the chili oils.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Cup (25g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 1390.9mg||48 %|
|Potassium 36.5mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.8g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 3.4g|
|Protein 0.5g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 18
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.