1. Make sure turkey stock while turkey roasts: Trim fat and membrane from giblets. Rinse giblets and neck; pat dry. Add to roasting pan with turkey, and roast until browned about 30 minutes. Remove giblets and neck from pan; set aside.
2. Bundle together thyme, parsley, and rosemary, and tie with kitchen twine to make a bouquet garni; set aside.
3. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large (4-quart) saucepan. Add celery, carrot, leek, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until just browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium: add giblets, neck, bouquet garni, peppercorns, bay leaf, and 4 cups of water. Cover: bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until liquid reduces to about 3 cups, 50 to 60 minutes.
4. Pour stock through a large fine sieve set over a clean large saucepan. Reserve giblets and neck, and discard vegetables. Return stock to stove, and keep warm over medium-low heat. Coarsely chop giblets, and shred neck meat off the bone with a fork; set aside.
5. Make gravy when turkey comes out of the oven: Pour juices from roasting pan into a fat separator; reserve pan. Let juices separate, about 10 minutes.
6. Deglaze pan: Set the pan on the stove top across two burners: add wine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, scraping up browned bits on bottom with a wooden spoon. Reserve deglazing liquid.
7. Add 3 tablespoons reserved pan fat (from top of separator) or butter to a clean large saucepan, and place over medium-low heat. Add flour to make a roux, whisking vigorously to combine. Cook, whisking, until flour is deep golden brown and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Whisking vigorously, add stock in a steady stream to roux. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
8. Add reserved deglazing liquid, pan juice (from bottom of separator, giblets, and neck meat to mixture. Return to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes.
9. Pour gravy through a fine sieve set over a large saucepan; discard giblets and neck meat, if desired. Keep warm on low until ready to serve (up to 30 minutes); season with salt and pepper.
Make it robust for gravy with more texture and a hearty flavor. Add the giblets and neck meat after the second straining.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (59g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 40 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.5g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 11.4mg||4 %|
|Sodium 453.3mg||16 %|
|Potassium 107mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.5g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 5.5g|
|Protein 0.9g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 72
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!