1. In a very large pot (about eight quarts) place turkey bones, water, celery, onions chicken bouillon or granules, salt, pepper, and bay leaves and heat to boiling. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove the turkey carcass to a plate and search soup for any other floating bones. - let turkey cool.
3. Add thyme, parsley, bag of frozen peas, carrots and heat to boiling...then reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
4. Meanwhile scrape meat from carcass....add about 2-3 cups more chopped turkey to pot
5. Heat back to boiling and add desired amount of noodles ( I add the whole bag) - Add extra chicken stock to desired consistency if necessary - simmer for another 10 minutes
6. Melt butter in a small pot and add four. Cook Rue until it just begins to turn golden. Add to soup and stir to combine. Simmer another 10 minutes.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning ( salt, pepper, thyme, other spices of choice)
At this point, you can make simple dumplings and cook them in the soup -
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. soft margarine or butter
1 cup of milk (or more)
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl - mix it up a bit.
Cut in butter that's been kept at room temperature or use soft margarine.
Stir milk lightly into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon and adjust amounts to make sure that you have a moist dumpling dough ( moist and thick, but not too stiff)
Dip a tablespoon into the soup to wet it.
Make sure your soup or stew is on a gentle simmer. The liquid does not have to be boiling to get good dumplings.
Scoop a nice full amount of dough onto spoon and drop into the liquid.
Cover your pot with a lid so that the dumplings can steam.
Check your dumplings after 15 minutes. Take a dumpling out and cut it open....if cooked through they are done (or stick a knife in and see if it comes out clean)
Ladle into serving bowls, including a dumpling or two per bowl
If there are leftover dumplings, store them seperate from the soup.
This was adapted from recipe found in recipezaar.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (514g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 70 (68%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 7.8g||10 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.9g||24 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 20.3mg||6 %|
|Sodium 114.7mg||4 %|
|Potassium 169.4mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 6.3g|
|Protein 1.1g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 103
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.