1. In a 5-quart saucepan combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam. Reduce heat, cover and simmer mixture for 1 to 1-1/4 hours, or until turkey is tender.
2. Remove turkey from cooking liquid and allow to cool. Remove poultry from bones, discard skin and bones. Cube poultry, cover and chill.
3. Strain broth. Discard seasoning, vegetables and spices. Skim off any remaining fat. Return broth to saucepan.
4. Add remaining vegetables, barley and seasonings. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Cover and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
5. Add reserved turkey and gently cook 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Republished with permission, National Turkey Federation
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (791g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 266 (36%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 29.6g||39 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.8g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.2g|
|Cholesterol 157mg||48 %|
|Sodium 219.1mg||8 %|
|Potassium 2091.4mg||55 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 62g||18 %|
|Dietary Fiber 16.8g||67 %|
|Sugars, other 45.2g|
|Protein 59.3g||85 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 735
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.