For the meatballs
320 g minced lamb
30 g dried breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, grated and squeezed
1 tsp Turkish chillies, flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp red pepper
small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
handful mint, chopped
olive oil, for frying
3 small ripe tomatoes, sliced
For the potato dish
2 large potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, cut into 2cm slices
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 long Turkish green peppers, cut into 5cm strips
sprinkling of dried red chilli flakes
sprinkling of dried oregano
For the cooking liquor
1 tins chopped plum tomatoes
400 ml chicken stock
1 pinch chilli powder
handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190C/170C/gas 5.
2. For the meatballs: Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs except the olive oil and sliced tomatoes together by hand.
3. Roll into 10 golf ball-sized balls, then slightly flatten them, but not so they are burger or patty shaped.
4. In a frying pan, lightly fry the meatballs in a little of the olive oil until just golden. Take them out and drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the potatoes: Fry the potato slices briefly on each side so they aren’t cooked through but reach a golden colour, seasoning with salt and pepper as you cook them.
6. Transfer the potato slices to kitchen paper and wipe the pan out.
7. For the cooking liquor: Pour the tin of tomatoes into a pan and add chicken stock, chilli powder and lots of black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
8. Layer the bottom of a baking dish with potatoes and arrange the meatballs on top. Scatter around the sliced onions and pepper pieces. Sprinkle everything lightly with chilli flakes and dried oregano.
9. Pour the cooking liquor carefully into the dish so that it comes roughly halfway up the meat. Finish by putting a slice of tomato on top of each meatball.
11. Bake for 45 minutes. Add chopped parsley and serve with yogurt.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.