1. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
2. Combine milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup vanilla sugar, salt, vanilla seeds, and empty bean pod in a large pot. Bring just to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Cover, remove from heat, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
3. Reheat the cream mixture over medium-high until steaming, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Beat egg yolks until they thicken and lighten in color (resulting in a Hollandaise sauce-like consistency), then beat in vanilla sugar until thoroughly combined. Temper about half of the cream mixture into the egg mixture; do this by whisking constantly while streaming cream mixture into eggs, or by adding cream mixture to eggs one ladle-ful at a time and whisking vigorously after each addition. Add tempered mixture back to remaining cream in pot.
5. Pour the remaining cup of heavy cream into a container and suspend over an ice bath. Place a fine mesh strainer over the container.
6. Attach a candy thermometer or instant-read thermometer to the pot, immersing the end of the thermometer in the custard. Heat over medium low heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot frequently, until mixture reaches 171° F. Pour the custard into the strainer. Remove the strainer, add the empty bean pod back to the custard, and stir until completely cool.
7. Stir vanilla extract into custard. Chill in refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
8. Remove empty bean pod from custard. Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
9. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream, or freeze for 4-6 hours to harden.
Make vanilla sugar by rinsing the used vanilla bean pod and allowing to dry out overnight until hard. Bury in a cup of sugar and age for a few weeks.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 quart (375g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 1045 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 116.1g||155 %|
|Saturated Fat 65.1g||326 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 37.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.6g|
|Cholesterol 1587.8mg||489 %|
|Sodium 307mg||11 %|
|Potassium 339.5mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 12.2g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 12.2g|
|Protein 22g||31 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1175
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!