1. Heat olive oil in soup pot on medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until they soften.
2. Add celery and carrots and continue to sauté until vegetables begin to brown.
3. Add the spices: turmeric, cinnamon, coriander powder, ginger (can also substitute fresh) and cumin. Continue to sauté vegetables for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add can of tomatoes or fresh chopped tomatoes and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add vegetable broth, water and washed, uncooked lentils. Bring to a boil and turn heat down to simmer. It is possible to substitute concentrated vegetable paste for the broth.
6. Continue to simmer until lentils are cooked.
7. Add the cooked garbanzo beans, lemon zest, lemon juice and beaten eggs about 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
8. Salt and pepper to taste. For more spice, add chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper also to taste.
9. Serve with cilantro and bread.
**Can be made into more of a stew if zapped just a few times with an immersion blender at the very end.
Continue to taste it to add additional spices or flavor as desired. This is pretty fool proof.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (223g)|
|Recipe Makes: 15 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 15 (9%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.7g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 0.7mg||0 %|
|Sodium 180.8mg||6 %|
|Potassium 397.4mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.6g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40 %|
|Sugars, other 17.6g|
|Protein 9.6g||14 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 159
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!