Fresh mushroom and herbs paired with complex sherry make for a full flavored stuffing without any meat or chicken broth. Tangy, crusty sourdough creates a dressing with contracts; chewy center pieces that have soaked up the stock and crispy toasted edges. To ensure a great texture, keep folding the mixture until the stock and eggs have absorbed into the bread completely.
Source: Food & Wine Magazine
1. Spread bread pieces in a single layer on 3 rimmed baking sheets and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature 8 hours or overnight, until dried out.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a deep 13- to 14-inch skillet over medium until sizzling. Add celery and onion; cook; stirring often, until just softened, about 10-13 minutes. Add thyme and rosemary; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer celery mixture to a large bowl.
3. Wipe skillet clean, and add 1/4C butter. Heat over medium until sizzling. Stir in mushrooms. Increase heat to high; cook, undisturbed, until bottoms of mushrooms are browned, about 3 minutes. Stir mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned all over, about 20 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, and let stand 30 seconds.
4. Add sherry to skillet, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Return skillet to heat over medium; add parsley, salt, pepper, and remaining 1/4C butter; stir until butter is melted. Add mushroom mixture to celery mixture; add dried bread, and toss to combine.
5. Whisk together stock and eggs until thoroughly blended. Stirring constantly, slowly pour stock mixture into bread mixture. Combine, stirring until most of stock is absorbed. Grease a 13x9inch baking dish with butter; spoon bread mixture into baking dish; and cover tightly with aluminium foil.
6. Bake in preheated oven until warmed through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (684g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 129 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.3g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.4g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.1g|
|Cholesterol 235.9mg||73 %|
|Sodium 2017mg||70 %|
|Potassium 549.8mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.1g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 11.8g|
|Protein 9.1g||13 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 216
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!