There’s nothing like warm, homemade biscuits right out of the oven. It takes longer for the oven to heat up than it does to put this simple, healthy recipe together. My biscuits are lower in fat than any you can buy. I use the same biscuits for strawberry shortcake by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the dry ingredients. Biscuits really should be served immediately; otherwise,
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
3. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles cornmeal. (it takes about a minute)
4. Add buttermilk, stirring briefly with a fork until combined.
5. Place dough on a floured surface and knead 8-10 times. (it’s easy with a scraper)
6. Roll or pat dough about 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
7. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut biscuits – do not twist – cutting straight down, dipping cutter into flour each time.
8. press down in center of each biscuit , creating a divot. This help the biscuit to rise level.
8. Re-roll remaining dough for extra biscuits.
9. Place biscuits on baking sheet, well spaced, and brush tops with milk or buttermilk.
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes until tops are golden. Serve right away.
Great severed with Vern's Southern Style Tomato gravy, or
Vern's Southern Style Red Beans and Rice with Sausage and Ham Hocks or
Vern's Spaghetti and Meatballs
even great served with breakfast of your choice.
These are great at breakfast.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (63g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 127 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.1g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.6g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 8.4mg||3 %|
|Sodium 400.9mg||14 %|
|Potassium 65.8mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 23.2g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 22.4g|
|Protein 3.6g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 236
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.