1. Proof the yeast with half the brown sugar and all the water. Set aside until foam forms.
2. Add remaining sugar and salt, stir well. Gradually add the flour. Knead for about 7 minutes, until smooth and retains a sheen (you may have to add a touch more water). Cover and allow to rest in a warm place for 40 minutes.
3. Dust large cutting board half with flour and half with cornmeal. Turn out dough onto floured side. Halve dough and then quarter it. Slice each quarter into 3 pieces. Roll each piece on the cornmeal dusted side, making a "snake" that is a little thinner than a broom handle. Form bagel and pinch one end around the other. Making them "look" like bagels takes some practice. Place each bagel on a lightly cornmeal-dusted baking sheet. Put them back in your warm place and let them rest for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425F. Heavily dust 2 baking sheets with cornmeal.
5. Fill a large, wide pot almost full of water (leave about 1 - 1?" at top), and bring to a boil. Use a wide flat spatula to drop the bagels, top down, into the water. Dont let them touch. Boil on one side for 1 1/2 minutes, then turn and boil on other side for 30 seconds. Carefully remove from water and drain bottom down on wire rack while next batch boils. Move each batch from rack to baking sheet before the next batch is ready to drain.
6. Sprinkle with desired toppings and place in oven for 17 minutes. Turn bagels and bake until brown all over, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on paper towels.
Heres the promised bagel recipe! It originally came from Molly ONeills "New York Cookbook", but Ive changed it a bit. If you can get NY water, use it...it DOES make a difference, especially when used for boiling. I bring home water from my brothers on LI whenever I visit, just so I can make these bagels taste "real" :D
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (60g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 5 (3%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.5g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 2.9mg||0 %|
|Potassium 80.6mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.4g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 34.7g|
|Protein 4.8g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 171
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.