* Some leftover vegetable curry works if you can't get jars of this by you. Otherwise make yourself up a mini batch of veggie biryani to use. And if you need to, email me and I will see if I can find an easy recipe that is similar to the canned curry you find in grocery stores in South Africa.
1. Stir sugar in the lukewarm water and add the yeast.
2. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
3. Add oil to the yeast liquid.
4. Mix dry ingredients with yeast liquid using a wooden spoon.
5. Work to a firm dough, adding extra flour if needed, until sides of bowl are clean.
6. Turn dough on to a lightly floured table and knead thouroughly until it is firm, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
7. Shape dough into a ball and place into mixing bowl and cover with cloth.
8. Allow dough to double in size and dough springs back when pressed with a floured finger (60 minutes in a warm place, 2 hours at room temperature).
9. Turn risen dough onto a lightly floured surface, flatten to knock out air bubbles and knead to make firm. Flatten to about 1 cm thick (little less than inch) and cut pieces into 8 cm x 8 cm (3" x 3").
10. Cook in warm deed oil until brown.
11. Slice open and smear with butter, jam or mince filling (many people actually would use all three).
Fry onions in oil until light brown. Add ground beef and cook for about 15 minutes. Add potatoes and enough water to cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable curry and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. The mince should not be watery.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1180g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 1084 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 120.5g||161 %|
|Saturated Fat 43.8g||219 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 42.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.7g|
|Cholesterol 340.2mg||105 %|
|Sodium 783.1mg||27 %|
|Potassium 2687mg||71 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 218.9g||64 %|
|Dietary Fiber 19.8g||79 %|
|Sugars, other 199.2g|
|Protein 102g||146 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2387
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.