1) Pour the warm water into a mixing bowl. Add and let dissolve the sugar or honey and then the yeast.
2) When the yeast is bubbling, add the butter, 3 cups of flour, the dry milk, and salt. Mix together.
3) Stir in another 2 1/2 cups of flour, keeping the last 1/2 cup in reserve. Knead the dough for 3 to 4 minutes, until it begins to behave as if it belongs together. Cover and let the dough rest while you clean and grease the mixing bowl.
4) Continue kneading for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the dough feels smooth and springy.
5) Place the bowl in the greased bowl, turn it over to coat both sides, and cover the bowl. Let it rise in a draft-free place until doubled, 1 to 2 hours. Deflate the dough, and divide it in half. Form into loaves (or make into cinnamon-raisin bread as described in tips, below), and place in greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" pans. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until the dough domes an inch above the rim of the pans.
After the dough has been rising for 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 350°F. When the loaves are sufficiently risen, bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until nicely browned and the center of the loaves reads 190?F when measured with an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and tip the breads out of their pans. Place on a rack to cool completely before slicing.
tips from our bakers
You can make this bread with milk instead of water; just bring 2 cups of milk to a simmer, then cool to lukewarm before using.
For cinnamon-swirl bread, roll each piece of dough into a rough 9" x 15" rectangle. Spread each piece with half the melted butter, then sprinkle with half the raisins, sugar, and cinnamon. Starting with a short edge, roll into a cylinder. Place the loaves in the pans, seam-side down, and let rise and bake as directed at right.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 loaf (1266g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 329 (8%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 36.5g||49 %|
|Saturated Fat 19.5g||97 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.1g|
|Cholesterol 76.2mg||23 %|
|Sodium 281.6mg||10 %|
|Potassium 2273.5mg||60 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 836.2g||246 %|
|Dietary Fiber 28.8g||115 %|
|Sugars, other 807.4g|
|Protein 76.3g||109 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3939
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.