The Louisiana country standard "mess of greens" would ordinarily be cooked with chunks of slab bacon. While out with the garden basket, the cool< might also forage around for some wild mushrooms. This dish goes uptown at the Crescent City Farmers' Market (page 19), a lively outdoor market that convenes at various locations around New Orleans, providing an opportunity for city dwellers to do some foraging of their own. The market's co-manager, Kristen Essig, contributed this salad, which preserves the fresh flavor of the field greens while replacing the bacon with olive 011 and meaty smoked sh1itakes.
1. To make the vinaigrette, in a small nonreactive bowl combine the shallots, mustard, and honey. Whisk in the vinegar to combine. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Set aside.
2. To smoke the mushrooms, prepare a stove-top smoker according to the manufacturer's directions. Trim the mushroom stems, then wipe the caps clean with a soft-bristled mushroom brush or a lightly dampened kitchen or paper towel. Arrange the caps on the grill pan in the smoker. Leaving the lid ajar by 1 inch (2.5 cm), place the pan over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke, then close the lid completely. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the smoker and set aside to cool.
3. Alternatively, if you do not have a smoker, soak 4 bamboo skewers in water to cover for about 30 minutes. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect grilling over medium-high heat. When the grill is ready, drain the skewers and thread the mushrooms on them. Place on the grill rack and grill, turning occasionally, until tender, 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the greens, smoked mushrooms, and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. In a small nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the dressing, being careful not to let it boil. When the vinaigrette is warm to the touch, pour it over the mixed greens. Using tongs, toss the salad gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
6. Arrange the salad on warmed plates and shave the cheese on top using a vegetable peeler.
Serve with a full-bodied white Burgundy to balance the strong flavors of the smoked mushrooms and vinaigrette.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (154g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 243 (93%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.1g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.7g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.8g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 46.2mg||2 %|
|Potassium 83.7mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.9g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 4.4g|
|Protein 0.5g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 260
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!