1. Heat nonstick Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels to drain.
2. Add chicken to Dutch oven, in two batches, and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to plate as it is browned.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic to Dutch oven; cook, stirring, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste until smooth. Add mushrooms and frozen onions; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth, wine, potatoes, and carrots; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot.
4. Return chicken and bacon to Dutch oven. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together flour and water in small bowl until smooth. Stir in about 1/4 cup of hot stew liquid until blended. Add liquid to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes. Serve sprinkle with parsley.
FYI: Originally this classic chicken and red wine stew was prepared with a rooster. Slow cooking it in red wine ensured the very flavorful meat would become meltingly tender. Nowadays, chicken stands in for the rooster in this ever-popular recipe.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (200g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 60 (38%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.7g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.2g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.9g|
|Cholesterol 9.5mg||3 %|
|Sodium 200mg||7 %|
|Potassium 594.8mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.9g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 14.8g|
|Protein 4.9g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 160
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!