1.Cranberry Filling: Bring all cranberry filling ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, until cranberries break down and mixture thickens, about 10 minutes; transfer to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid, secure lid on blender and place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process until mostly smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl; cool 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile prepare the cake layers: Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spry. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper rounds, spray paper.
3. Beat butter and sugar with a stand mixer fitted with paddle attchment on meium-high speed until fluffy and sugar is almost dissolved, about 8 minutes. With mixer running on low speed, add egg whites, one at a time, stopping to scrape sides as needed. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture ot egg mixture, alternating wtih milk, in 3 parts, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat until blended after each addition. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans.
5. Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 24-26 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, and cool completely about 30 minutes. Discard parchment paper.
6. Prepare the Vanilla Buttercream: Beat butter with a stand mixer fitted with addle attachment on meium speed until creamy, 1-2 minutes. With mixer running on low peed, gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth and stopping to scrape sides as needed. Beat in vanilla and salt. With mixer running on medium speed, gradually add cream, beating until fluffy and spreadable.
7. Place on cake layer on a cake stand and spoon half of buttercream into a 16-inch disposable piping bag; cut a 1/2-inch opening in tip. Pipe a 1/4-inch thick layer of buttercream in concentric circles on cake layer, starting from outside edge and working toward cnter; smooth with an offset spatula. Pipe a 1/4-inch-thick ring of buttercream around outside edge, creating a dam about 3/4-inch wide. Chill cake layer until buttercream hardens, about 20 minutes. Stir Cranberry filling to loosen. Fill center of buttercream dam with half of cranberry filling (about 1/3 cup), and smooth with offset spatula. Top with second cake layer. Repeat buttercream, dam, chilling, and filling process. Top with third cake layer. Frost topand sides of cake with remaining buttercream, smoothing with spatula and letting some of cake on the sides show through.
8. Prepare the candied cranberries: Heat maple syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-low, just until warm, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries. Cover and shill 8-12 hours.
9. Place cranberry mixture in a colander over a bowl and let drain 15 minutes, reserving maple syrup for another use.
10. Place sugar in a shallow dish or small bowl. Add cranberries, 4 or 5 at a time, tossing gently to coat. Remove cranberries with a fork or slotted spoon, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Let stand until completely dry about 2 hours.
11. Top cake with a mound of candied cranberries; add bay leaves and small spring of rosemary and sage. Garnish bottom with a wreath of rosemary, sage, and bay leaves.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (284g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 408 (48%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 45.3g||60 %|
|Saturated Fat 27.1g||136 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 12.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 127.6mg||39 %|
|Sodium 18482.3mg||637 %|
|Potassium 156.1mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 113.9g||34 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 111.7g|
|Protein 2.8g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 857
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!