1. TO MAKE THE CAKE LAYERS
2. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, mixing well
4. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until very soft and light. Beat in the vanilla.
5. Whisk together the egg whites and milk by hand in a medium mixing bowl until just combined.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in one-quarter of the flour mixture, then one-third of the milk mixture, stopping and scraping down the bowl and beater after each addition. Beat in another quarter of the flour, then another third of the milk mixture. Scrape again. Repeat with another quarter of the flour and the remaining milk mixture; scrape. Finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture.
7. Fold in flaked coconut, mixture will appear a bit lumpy, that is ok!
8. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
9. CAKE CONSTRUCTION
10. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and cream for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.Cool to room temperature.
11. In a small bowl, combine jam and 1 cup coconut.
12. Once cake layers are cooled, trim, then spread filling over bottom layer. Place the second layer on top and let rest while preparing frosting.
13. In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. gradually beat in white chocolate mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. If frosting is still too warm, let cool in the fridge.
14. Toast the remaining coconut and press over top and sides of cake, make sure you let the toasted coconut cool before trying to press into the chocolate or the heat will make the chocolate run.
15. Decorate with fresh raspberry and slice away! You will love this cake!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (381g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 693 (59%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 77g||103 %|
|Saturated Fat 45.9g||230 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4g|
|Cholesterol 652.1mg||201 %|
|Sodium 2098.5mg||72 %|
|Potassium 348.6mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 106.1g||31 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 103.6g|
|Protein 20.2g||29 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1170
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.