1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, spices, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream the butter, coconut oil andrapadura (or sucanat) together until creamy. Mix in the egg and molasses;blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Finally, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat onlow speed until thoroughly well blended. Refrigerate dough at least onehour.
4. Rolling out the dough
5. Once dough is chilled, divide in half. Place one half of the dough on alarge sheet of parchment paper on your kitchen counter (be sure to form itinto a tightly compressed dough ball) and keep the other half of the doughin the bowl and return to the frig to keep chilled. Place another sheet ofparchment paper over the dough ball and pat down a bit with your hand toflatten the dough and then roll it out to 1/4 inch thick.
6. Cutting shapes in the dough
7. Remove the top sheet of parchment and use a gingerbread man cookie cutterto cut shapes in the dough, but do not try to remove the gingerbread boysfrom the parchment paper. Instead, slide the parchment onto a baking sheetand place in freezer for a few minutes to allow cookie cut-outs to harden abit. This will help you to be able to get the gingerbread men off theparchment paper without losing their shape or dismembering them ? ouch!
8. While you're waiting for the dough to harden, preheat oven to 350degrees.
9. Then, take out the other half of the chilled dough from the frig andplace it on a large sheet of parchment paper and repeat above steps to rollout and cut shapes in the dough. By the time you do this, the cut-out doughin the freezer will be ready for the final steps listed below.
10. Baking cookie cut-outs
11. Once the cut-out dough has hardened up a bit, remove it from the freezerand gently separate your gingerbread boys from the dough and place thelittle guys onto a sheet of clean parchment paper for decorating.
12. Then, decorate the gingerbread boys using your favorite dried fruits andnuts, as shown in photos above.
13. Finally, slide the parchment paper with the decorated gingerbread boysonto a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow tocool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet before removing and placing on awire rack to finish cooling.
14. Use those dough scraps
15. Place the dough scraps from your cut-outs into a bowl and place back infrig. Then, remove your second sheet of cut-out dough from the freezer andfollow above steps for decorating and baking.
16. Finally, form all of the remaining dough scraps into a dough ball andrepeat the steps for rolling and cutting the dough as listed above. YUM!
Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)---------------------------------------------- Calories: 1388 Calories From Fat: 1330 Total Fat: 152.2g Cholesterol: 455.5mg Sodium: 5552mg Potassium: 144.7mg Carbohydrates: 6.8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: <1g Protein: 7.9g
Author Note: Rolling Tip: If you're rolling out the dough alone. Here's alittle trick to keep the parchment from sliding around your countertop. Hangone corner of the parchment paper over the edge of your counter and pressyour body against it to pin the parchment in place and then roll the doughaway from your body.
Author Note: A NOTE ABOUT SUBSTITUTIONS: I love combining whole spelt andkamut ? they work so well together to create wholesome, yet lighter tastingwholegrain baked goods, which is why I frequently use them in tandem in myrecipes. If you opt to use all whole spelt flour, I recommend using 1/4 cupless flour. The dough will be crumblier with all spelt, but the taste willstill be good, just not as good as it is with the combination of spelt andkamut.
Author Note: Whole Wheat Flour as a SUB: I have not used whole wheat flouras a substitution, so I cannot verify if it will work well since I haven'ttried it myself, although I imagine it would be just fine, but yield a bitof a denser tasting cookie than the spelt-kamut combo. You could also givesprouted flour a try to with this recipe.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (-227g)|
|Recipe Makes: -1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: -1378 (100%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat -152g||-203 %|
|Saturated Fat -107.2g||-536 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat -29g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat -5.2g|
|Cholesterol -455.7mg||-140 %|
|Sodium -834.8mg||-29 %|
|Potassium -161.8mg||-4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate -5.7g||-2 %|
|Dietary Fiber -2g||-8 %|
|Sugars, other -3.7g|
|Protein -7.8g||-11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!