1. In a strainer under cold water, rinse the dried porcini. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of the chicken broth to a boil. Add the porcini, remove from the heat and let stand, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is cool and the mushrooms are reconstituted, about 10-15 minutes.
2. With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms from the liquid, pressing as much of the liquid out of them and back into the pan as possible. Finely chop the mushrooms. Let the liquid settle, then pour off and reserve the clear portion. There should be about 11/2 cups. Discard the sandy residue.
3. In a 5-quart pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the Portobello and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have rendered their juices, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped porcini mushrooms, onion, carrot, leek, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Lower the heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are becoming tender, about 10 minutes more.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and Madeira wine, and add to the soup. Raise the heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the mixture has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining 4 cups broth, the reserved mushroom liquid and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender and the soup has reduced to 6 cups, about 30 minutes.
5. Cool slightly, then transfer half the soup to a food processor and puree, or force it through the medium blade of a food mill. Return the puree to the soup pan and stir in the cream if you are using it. (The soup can be prepared to this point up to 3 days in advance. Cool completely, cover and refrigerate.)
6. In a medium pot over low heat, bring the soup to a simmer. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot.
Recipe by: Nicole Rothier, Fiesta Culinary school, 1/19/06
Each (1 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 166, FatCals: 92, TotalFat: 10g
SatFat: 6g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol 26mg, Na: 661mg, K: 327mg
TotCarbs: 11g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g
NetCarbs: 10g, Protein: 5g
If you think mushroom soup is "white stuff from a can" you really need to try this wonderful recipe.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (320g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 402 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 44.6g||59 %|
|Saturated Fat 28g||140 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.7g|
|Cholesterol 117.9mg||36 %|
|Sodium 720.9mg||25 %|
|Potassium 360.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.9g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 8.3g|
|Protein 3.3g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 452
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.