John Chandler's original recipe can be found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/worlds-best-lasagna/
World's Best Lasagna!
1. In a Dutch oven, cook onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat until well browned.
2. Once the onions, garlic and mushrooms are browned, mix in and cook the sausage until browned.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1.5 teaspoons freshly chopped basil, .5 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, .5 tablespoon salt, .25 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley (optional). Simmer covered, for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. (or cook using hot water in a pan, which is much easier)
5. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with eggs, remaining parsley (optional), and .5 teaspoon salt.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
7. To assemble, spread 1.5 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
8. Spoon 1.5 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with .25 cup Parmesan cheese.
9. Add remaining 6 lasagna noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Cover with remainder of ricotta cheese mixture, one third of mozzarella cheese slices, then the remainder of the meat sauce, and then top with remaining one third mozzarella cheese slices and Parmesan cheese. Add extra shredded mozzarella cheese to put this dish way over the top.
10. Cover with foil. To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes (don't overheat!).
12. Cool for 15 minutes before pigging out!
This recipe was based on another recipe, and over time and many revisions, this is the best lasagna in the world! The original recipe is located at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFourBySix.aspx?RecipeID=23600&servings=12>
BigOven Tip: Lasagna freezes well. Make ahead of time and reheat in a 350 degree oven. Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes - 1 hour depending on your oven. Check that center is warm.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (978g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 364 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 40.4g||54 %|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.5g|
|Cholesterol 153.7mg||47 %|
|Sodium 1455.9mg||50 %|
|Potassium 1639.1mg||43 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 85.4g||25 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10.7g||43 %|
|Sugars, other 74.7g|
|Protein 52.6g||75 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 902
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.