1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the mixer on low speed, beat the mixture for about 1 minute to dissolve the yeast. If the yeast mixture doesn't begin to foam after a few minutes, it means it's not active and you will have to start over with fresher yeast.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add it 1/4 cup at a time to the yeast mixture, mixing on low speed until the dough lightly comes together using a dough hook. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, forms a ball, and starts to climb up the dough hook.
3. Coat a large bowl with oil. Put the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with a damp, warm, towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Punch down the dough completely and let rise a second time until doubled in size, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and turn it onto a lightly floured work surface. Punch it down, knead it for a minute, then form it into a baguette. Once formed, cover with a dry towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. Right before baking, make diagonal slashes along the loaf using a dough lame. Beat the egg white and add 1 tablespoon water. Stir. Using a pastry brush, brush the entire top of the loaf with the egg mixture and sprinkle the top of the loaf with ground kosher salt.
7. Bake the bread until golden brown, 30 to 35 mintues. Let cool slightly and slice loaf.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Loaf (1732g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Loaf|
|Calories from Fat: 238 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 26.4g||35 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||20 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.4g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 3582.8mg||124 %|
|Potassium 1830mg||48 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1174.6g||345 %|
|Dietary Fiber 40.5g||162 %|
|Sugars, other 1134.1g|
|Protein 193.6g||277 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 5823
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!