look like miniature lobsters and are prized for their tail meat.
They’re most often boiled with vegetables and seasonings and served
Crayfish are known by many names: crawfish, crawdads, mud puppies, spoondogs, yabbies (
Boiling is the preferred method of cooking.
More than 500 species of freshwater crayfish are found around the world. They are sold commercially as both wild-caught and farm-raised.
Crayfish are available live or frozen. They will range in size from about three inches up to eight inches. Purchase with the shells on for greatest flavor. When alive, they will be very active and ready to pinch. In between molts, when they are without a shell, crayfish are often harvested and frozen in vacuum-sealed packages.
Keep live crayfish on ice or in a bowl covered with a wet paper towel. They should be cooked the same day as purchased. After boiling, they’ll remain good for up to four days.
• Never eat raw or dead crayfish. They must be alive and rinsed well in cold running water before boiling.
• Always boil with the shells on, as these add a wonderful flavor to the cooking liquid.
• Smaller species do not contain much claw meat and it is not worthwhile to remove. Pick carefully through larger claws as they contain some cartilage.
• To reach the sweet meat, twist the tail and pull. Squeeze the sides of the tail to crack the shell. Remove the intestine (sand vein).
• When done (about 10 minutes boiling time), they will turn red and float to the top. If adding to a separate dish for baking, boil for just 5 minutes, let cool, and refrigerate.
• The tail meat accounts for about 15% of the total weight. Approximately 10 pounds of crayfish will be reduced to 1-1/2 pounds of meat.
Shrimp or lobster.
by BigOven team and Steve Murch
Find more recipes that contain Crayfish. These are recipes with "Crayfish" anywhere in the recipe.
Browse 250,000+ recipes or add your own
|My Try Soons||Chicken||Grill||BBQ and Grilling|
|My Favorites||Beef||BBQ||Kid Friendly|
|Recipes I've Added||Vegetarian||Slow Cooker||Diabetic|
|Vegan||Bread Machine||Gluten Free|
|Winter||Seafood||Deep Fryer||Quick and Easy|
|Spring||Pork||Ice Cream Maker||Elegant|
|Use up Leftovers