beans may be more popular in Tuscany than anywhere else in the world.
They are delicious in cold salads and hot soups or when combined with
Cannellini beans are used extensively in
As with other types of beans, they’re a nutritious vegetarian substitute for meat.
• May also be called fazolia. Flageolets are in the same family (haricot beans), but not the same in size or taste.
• Available dried or canned.
• Dried beans will last indefinitely, but are best stored in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
• Canned beans will have a long shelf life. Refrigerate or freeze after opening.
• Refrigerate cooked beans in an airtight container to prevent dehydration. They should be frozen if not used within 3-4 days.
• Sort and wash before cooking.
• Puree with desired seasonings and use as a spread.
• When soaking overnight in a warm kitchen, refrigerate to avoid fermentation.
• Cannellini beans can be used to make “white” chili.
• One cup of dried beans will yield approximately three cups cooked.
• Any white bean is interchangeable.