During Los dias de los Muertas, or “Days of the Dead” a favorite among the children are the candy skulls. You can make them yourself at home, and they are also great for Halloween parties. You can shape the skulls by hand, or purchase molds to press the candy into.
74 people want to try | 133 have favorited
Candy Skulls Preparation
1. Sift sugar into a large mixing bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix the egg whites, corn syrup and vanilla.
3. Slowly pour the liquid into the powdered sugar. Mix with your hands until a sandy dough forms.
4. Form dough into a ball. At this point you can continue or you can refrigerate dough for later use.
5. Lightly dust surface with cornstarch as well as your hands. Pinch off a heaping tablespoon of dough and shape it into a skull.
6. Press the candy sticks into the bottom of each skull.
7. If you're using them, lightly press colored sprinkles into the soft candy.
8. Let the candy dry overnight.
9. When candy is dry, use the paint brush with food coloring to decorate the skulls. Or you can use frosting (one that will dry hard) with a find tip to decorate them.
10. Hand them out as is, or wrap in a small cellophane bag tied closed with a small ribbon.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Candy Skulls Reviews
Mine looks strange... but it's really tasty!
11 months, 1 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours, 25 minutes ago
Yum I love it it is really good
1 years, 7 months, 2 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes ago
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven