A Potjie, pronounced "Poy-key" is a Dutch oven with 3 legs. This is so that the potjie can sit directly above an open fire outdoors. It is a South African custom to have potjies out in the bush or, less frequently at a braai ("bri") which is the Afrikaans word for a barbeque. A Dutch oven on a stove top will work fine, especially on a gas range.
1. Heat oil in the potjie (or dutch oven) and place the meat in the hot oil. Brown quickly on all sides. Add the soy sauce. Take the meat out of the pot.
2. Brown the onion, green pepper and bacon. Place the meat on top. Mix sugar and water and pour into pot. Simmer for 1 hour.
3. Add herbs, salt & pepper. Stir well. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
4. Arrange the vegetables in layers on top of the meat and simmer for 1 hour. Add more boiling water if necessary.
5. Mix water, flour & gravy powder to a paste and add to the pot.
6. Place dried peaches on top. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
Serve with "stamp mielies" - and if you are not in South African, your closest bet will be polenta. No need to be concerned about the exact vegetables or meat., a potjie is one of those stew type dishes that whatever is on hand will do
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1051g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 875 (48%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 97.2g||130 %|
|Saturated Fat 38.5g||192 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 40.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.4g|
|Cholesterol 563.6mg||173 %|
|Sodium 1916.6mg||66 %|
|Potassium 2978.2mg||78 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 179g||53 %|
|Dietary Fiber 17.7g||71 %|
|Sugars, other 161.3g|
|Protein 61.5g||88 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1819
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe