Make the Biga:
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and yeast.
2. Make a well in the middle and pour in the water.
3. With a stiff paddle mix until fully combined. Mixture will be a little wet.
4. Cover with towel (or plastic wrap) and let set 12 hours or overnight.
Make the dough:
1. Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and the biga, and mix until all incorporated.
2. Continue to mix until dough develops gluten and appears smoother in texture. The dough will be almost soupy.
3. Lightly oil a bowl and transfer to this bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Sift heavy dusting of flour onto work surface. Transfer dough to work surface, coat with flour, and stretch edges out and over top of mixture from all ends, forming a rectangular shape.
5. Divide the dough into 2 roughly equal pieces.
6. Line two quarter sheet pans with silpath or parchment paper. Stretch each piece of dough very gently as you transfer it to the baking sheet.
7. Sift more flour over each loaf, cover with a towel and let rise another 40 - 60 minutes.
8. Heat oven to 475 degrees F. Have one rack near top and one on the bottom.
9. Fill half sheet with ice. Place two loafs on top rack and ice tray on bottom.
10. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes. If browning too quickly, turn oven down 25 degrees.
Note: sift leftover flour to remove pieces of dough and re-use.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (63g)|
|Recipe Makes: 20 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 5 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.6g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 123.1mg||4 %|
|Potassium 45.5mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 23.8g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 22.9g|
|Protein 4.1g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 119
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!