This curried parsnip soup has a nice kick to it and makes a filling and warming winter meal in a bowl. The flatbreads are easy to make and can be cooked while the soup is simmering. Take some to work for a nourishing, homely lunch or freeze a batch for a quick midweek supper.
1. Combine the flour, salt and yeast in large bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and add the oil and water. Stir to combine and empty onto a lightly floured work surface.
3. Knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth, return to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth while you make the soup.
4. Heat the butter in a large pan; add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, curry powder, chilli powder, and ground cumin and cook for one minute.
5. Add the parsnips, lentils and stock to the pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for around 30 minutes until the lentils and parsnips are cooked.
6. While the soup is simmering, place the dough on a clean work surface, punch down on it a few times to remove any air and split into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a thin round and cover to prevent the dough drying out.
7. Place each round onto a hot dry skillet and cook for 30 seconds on each side until the dough bubbles. Remove from the pan and keep covered with a tea towel until the rest of the flatbreads are cooked.
8. When the soup is ready, add the coriander and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the flatbreads.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (502g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Recipe|
|Calories from Fat: 116 (38%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.9g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.4g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 30.5mg||9 %|
|Sodium 1380.3mg||48 %|
|Potassium 896.8mg||24 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 40.9g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.7g||39 %|
|Sugars, other 31.3g|
|Protein 10.3g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 308
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!