1. Mix together the espresso, rum, and cognac. The mixture should taste strongly of alcohol. If not, add more until it does. (That flavor will tone down when mixed with the other ingredients, but feel free to adjust to taste.) For non-alcoholic version replace rum & cognac with 3tbsp unsweetened cocoa mixed into 1/2 cup boiling water.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or by hand, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they begin to get stiff. Beat in half of the sugar until stiff. Scrape the egg whites into a small bowl.
3. In the same bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until stiff and light-colored, about three minutes. (If using a standing electric mixer, you may need to stop and scrape down the sides.) By hand, beat in the mascarpone with a spatula or whisk, until lump-free.
4. Fold in half of the beaten egg whites, then the remaining half, just until fully incorporated.
5. Submerge each ladyfinger in the espresso mixture for 5-10 seconds, until completely, utterly soaked. (Dried ladyfingers will take longer to saturate than softer ones.) Break the ladyfinger in half to be sure; they should be dropping wet, and can’t be saturated enough. Then make a layer at the bottom of a 9in dish.
6. Sprinkle a generous amount of chocolate over each.
7. Cover the ladyfingers with half the mascarpone mixture.
8. Repeat steps 5 through 7, cover, and refrigerate at least four hours, but preferably overnight.
9. Right before serving, shake powdered cocoa generously on top.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (98g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 151 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16.7g||22 %|
|Saturated Fat 8.9g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 122.8mg||38 %|
|Sodium 382mg||13 %|
|Potassium 100.2mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.1g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 27g|
|Protein 5.3g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 284
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.