NOLA Sweet Potatoes
I never had sweet potatoes growing up. It wasn't until my college years in New Orleans that I discovered this amazing food. These are very tender with a slightly crispy crust. The powdered sugar can be omitted and it is still undeniably delicious."This recipe was fabulous! I was a bit skeptical but made it according to the directions and it turned out great! The outside of each was crispy, with the inside very tender and sweet! Two thumbs!" - NRobN
Yield: 2 Ready in 1 hours, 10 minutes
favorite of 263 people 139 people want to try
NOLA Sweet Potatoes Preparation
1. Toss sweet potatoes, canola oil, kosher salt, and pepper to coat
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray
3. Arrange in a single layer and then cover with another sheet aluminum foil
4. Place in a COLD OVEN, set to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake for 30 minutes
5. Remove the top aluminum foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes
6. Flip potatoes and continue baking for 20 minutes
7. Remove and let cool 5 minutes (Impossible.)
8. Serve with a slight dusting of powdered sugar
It is imperative that you start these in a cold oven. The starch in the sweet potatoes converts to sugars between 135 and 175 degrees Fahrenheit. The longer they stay in that range, the sweeter these will taste.
This recipe is by David Pazmino as published in the Nov-Dec 2008 issue of Cook's Illustrated.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
NOLA Sweet Potatoes Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven