1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Boil a large pot of water for the pasta.
3. Cook the pasta a couple minutes less than the package instructions indicate. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so it is important to not cook it all the way on the stove.
4. While the pasta is cooking, heat the milk in a small saucepan.
5. Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot, then whisk in the flour.
6. Cook the butter and flour mixture over low heat for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
7. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and cook for a few minutes more until the mixture is thick and smooth.
8. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the cheeses, nutmeg and black pepper. Reserve a little bit of the cheese to sprinkle on top before putting the macaroni in the oven.
9. Stir until the cheese has melted.
10. Add the pasta to the cheese mixture and stir.
11. Pour the cheesy pasta into a 3-quart baking dish.
12. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
13. Bake for about 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly golden brown.
14. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Lumachelle is my favorite pasta shape for this dish because it holds pockets of molten cheese inside. If you cannot find lumachelle, medium-sized pasta shells work too.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (190g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 337 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.4g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 22.3g||112 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 152.5mg||47 %|
|Sodium 351.7mg||12 %|
|Potassium 233.9mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 39.2g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 39g|
|Protein 28.4g||41 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 607
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.