Top-ranked recipe named "Pioneer Macaroni & Cheese "
(Betty Crocker, with egg)
This recipe is one I grew up with. It is from the 1950's ring-bound Betty Crocker cookbook. I have seen lots of Pioneer Mac & Cheese recipes online, but none of them include egg. This may have been a modification to the cookbook for a mid-50's printing, but I think it adds a lot to the texture and taste. It also adds a bit more protein to the dish. It's delicious!
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees
2. Place pasta in buttered casserole dish.
3. Scatter the cheese over the pasta
4. Mix the milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
5. Pour milk mixture over pasta and cheese.
6. Sprinkle with paprika (optional)
Bake 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown on top.
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
mommiewithacaddie 1 week agoMy whole family loves the recipe. I do make one change in this recipe. I add more cheese. And my daughter agrees with me about adding more cheese. Really can you ever have to much cheese.