Sweet vanilla crepes, creamy custard, and dreamy chocolate drizzle combine to make this decadent riff on Boston Cream Pie. Serve individually or stack into one towering crepe cake for crowd-wowing applause.
For the crepes:
1. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, eggs, sugar, salt, milk, water, and melted butter, whisking to combine. With an immersion or stick blender, process any lumps (or alternately, pulse lightly in a blender until combined). For an exceptionally smooth batter, strain to remove any remaining lumps. Let batter rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour, up to 24 hours.
2. On a heated non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat, pour or scoop the batter, using approximately ¼ cup batter per crepe -- just enough to coat the entire surface evenly.
3. Cook 2 minutes, then flip and cook 1 minute more; repeat with remaining batter. Serve crepes warm with preferred sweet or savory toppings and fillings.
For the custard:
1. On a cold stove, mix together the sugar, flour, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan
2. Whisk in milk until smooth. Add eggs and whisk until well-blended.
3. Turn the stove to medium-low, and stir constantly until the custard becomes thick, coats the back of a spoon, and just begins to boil, about 10 minutes. Allow to gently bubble for one minute.
4. Remove the custard from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
5. Press plastic wrap directly over the surface of the custard to avoid a film from developing and cool completely.
For the Nutella sauce, if using (otherwise, drizzle your favorite store-bought or homemade chocolate sauce):
1. In a small saucepan, simmer milk until just steaming.
2. Stir in Nutella and blend until smooth.
For final assembly:
1. Spoon or pipe custard filling down the center of the crepe. Fold and drizzle with Nutella sauce or chocolate sauce.
2. Alternately, layer crepes with custard to create a towering cake-like effect. Top with dollops of whipped cream, Nutella drizzle, and a dusting of cocoa powder to serve.
If preparing for a special occasion, you can make the custard and the crêpes the day before and assemble just before serving. The whipped cream comes together in mere minutes and is best made just prior to serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (77g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 99 (55%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.3g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 227.1mg||70 %|
|Sodium 310.8mg||11 %|
|Potassium 93.5mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 12.2g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 11.7g|
|Protein 8g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 180
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.