1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Pat the bird completely dry inside and out with a paper towel. Rub the cavity with 1 teaspoon of the salt and few grindings of pepper and set the bird aside.
3. In a heave 10-12 inch ungreased skillet, fry the sausage meat over medium heat, stirring frequently and mashing the meat with the back of a fork to break up any lumps as they form. When no trace of pink remains, scoop up the sausage meat with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a fine sieve to drain.
4. Pour off all but a few tablespoonfuls of the sausage fat remaining in the skillet and add the finely chopped onions and celery. Stirring frequently, cook the mixture over medium heat until the vegetables are soft but no brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer them to a deep bowl. Add the drained sausage meat, the cornbread, sherry, milk, parsley, thyme, nutmeg, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a few grindings of pepper, melted butter and toss together gently but thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and let the stuffing cool to room temperature.
5. Fill both the breast and the neck cavities of the bird with the stuffing and close the openings by lacing them with small skewers and kitchen cord or sewing them with heavy white thread. Truss the bird securely.
This is the Mackelprang family secret recipe
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (164g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 397 (65%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 44.1g||59 %|
|Saturated Fat 24.5g||123 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.5g|
|Cholesterol 149.1mg||46 %|
|Sodium 987mg||34 %|
|Potassium 240.7mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 47.6g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 44.5g|
|Protein 7.9g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 613
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!